Thursday, March 5, 2009

The Franchise - By Terry Pluto and Brian Windhorst

The publishers of the book The Franchise, LeBron James and the remaking of the Cleveland Cavaliers were nice enough to send me a copy of what I have heard is an excellent book, and I can't wait to read it. I received it yesterday, and flipping through it briefly, it looks like a great read. I will be breaking the book down in depth in a couple weeks, but I wanted to share one excerpt below that I stumbled across just skimming through, that made me remember something I thought I wouldn't forget.

The excerpt was as follows:

"When LeBron James played in his first high school basketball game on December 3, 1999, it was in a half empty gym in Cuyahoga Falls, a suburb of Akron. James was starting as a freshmen for St. Vincent - St. Mary High School...Before the game Coach Keith Dambrot was nervous because he was starting (3) freshmen, including James"

That triggered a conversation I had towards the end of that season. That year, I was a college freshmen and I went back to my high school to practice with the basketball team over winter break. After practice, I talked to my old coaches, who talked my ear off about a freshmen from St. V's they saw play that year (99-00 season). They said he was incredible, explosive, real quick, saw the floor unbelievably well. They said he was like 5'4" or 5'5"... they said his name was Dru Joyce. I didn't hear about LeBron James until the following season. To this day I can't believe that conversation was about Dru Joyce and not LeBron James. Who knew.

No comments: